TaxNOW for WP e-Commerce Installation Instructions
- Avalara account credentials. Purchase an Avalara subscription to get your credentials, or sign up for a free trial.
- WordPress v4.0 or later.
- WP e-commerce v3.8.9 or later.
- An administrator account in WordPress.
TaxNOW is not guaranteed to work with all possible WP e-Commerce plugins, but let us know if you encounter a problem.
- Download the plugin ZIP file. Go to your WordPress dashboard, then click on Plugins, click on Add New, click on Upload. Next click on Choose File and select the ZIP file that was downloaded, then click on Install Now. When WordPress is finished installing, you can also click on Activate to enable TaxNOW.
1. Make sure the WP e-Commerce plugin is activated. Confirm that WPEC’s built-in Tax settings are disabled and left blank.
4. Explanation of Options:
Disable Tax Calculation – disables the live tax features of TaxNOW, allowing you to switch back to WP e-Commerce’s built-in tax features.
Disable Address Validation – disables USPS address verification and correction. TaxNOW will accept anything as an address if this is checked, so be careful.
Show Tax Details – displays sales tax rate and jurisdiction information on the Tax page of checkout. (Usually for testing purposes only.)
Default Tax Code – AvaTax system tax code to be used for any product which does not have a code specified on the ‘edit product’ page.
Default Freight Code – AvaTax system tax code to determine how shipping cost is taxed.
Limit tax calculation to predetermined locations – Used to prevent TaxNOW from performing tax calculations when the buyer is not in a state/province where you collect tax. These locations would just return a zero tax anyway, so why bother using up one of your AvaTax transactions for that.
These are provided when you purchase a subscription. A Test Connection button is provided to verify your credentials are entered correctly.
Enter the address of your company, or your primary Ship From address if different. Clicking on the Validate button will verify the address you entered exists. It will also offer to correct and format the address according to USPS standards.
5. Go to the Settings > Store > Admin tab, and scroll down to the Custom Messages section. Add the variable %total_tax% to your Purchase Receipt to display the sales tax amount in your customers’ receipts. This can also be added to your other messages as desired.